Ponce Gets Ready for the 2026 Women’s Final Four

PONCE, Puerto Rico, May 21, 2026.- The Puerto Rican Volleyball Federation (FPV) held the official press conference Thursday night for the 2026 NORCECA Women’s Final Four, scheduled to take place from June 5 to 7 at Salvador Dijols court in Playa de Ponce.

The event arrives at a historic moment for Puerto Rican volleyball following the team’s 2025 achievement, when Puerto Rico captured its third consecutive championship, finishing undefeated and securing qualification to the 2026 NORCECA Senior Women’s Olympic Continental Championship.

The evening began with remarks from Ponce Vice Mayor Edgar Avilés Almodóvar, who reaffirmed the municipality’s commitment to sports as a tool for economic, tourism, and social development. “For our city, it is always a source of pride to host international events. Under the administration of Honorable Mayor Marlese Sifre, there will always be support for activities that elevate Ponce and the country,” he stated, emphasizing that NORCECA “transcends to international levels” and that Ponce is ready once again to host a quality event.

FPV President Dr. César Trabanco provided a broad overview of the tournament, confirming the participation of Mexico and Costa Rica, while the fourth team will be determined between Cuba and Trinidad and Tobago, depending on the final response from U.S. immigration authorities.

Trabanco did not shy away from the current reality: Puerto Rico will not have its full roster due to injuries, permissions, and rest decisions. “I’m not going to fool anyone. We will not have the complete team, but I’m going with those who are available to the ends of the earth,” he stated frankly.

Additionally, FPV President Dr. César Trabanco indicated that the tournament is highly important because it awards points toward the world ranking and qualification for the Pan American Games, aspects of great significance for the country.

He also highlighted the presence of young sensation Decelise Champion, whom he described as “a phenomenon” and a unique opportunity for volleyball fans in southern Puerto Rico.

National team head coach Juan Carlos Núñez elaborated on the team’s current status and preparation process. He explained that the preliminary roster began a 12-session training cycle two days ago, with two sessions already completed. “A total of nearly 29 players were invited, and we currently have 22 present. I feel very happy and pleased with those 22 who have said yes to the program,” he said.

Núñez detailed that several players have not yet joined for various reasons: Decelise Champion will arrive next week; Valeria Núñez, who plays in Italy, will join on June 4; Grace López is awaiting medical clearance for the summer; and Paola Santiago, recently recovering from surgery, will not be available for this first tournament.

Despite the absences, Núñez emphasized that his focus has always been on working with the players who are available. “I’m used to working with those who are here, and those who are not, are not. I will make sure these young women continue representing the country the way they always have,” he affirmed.

The coach also highlighted the blend of experience and youth characterizing this roster, including players who could debut with the Senior National Team such as Nayeli González, Valeria Rosado, and Nataly García, along with athletes coming from the United States who are joining the national program for the first time.

The tournament will also serve as an opportunity to evaluate Champion’s progress in her transition to the outside hitter position, a plan the coaching staff has worked on since last year. “She comes from playing seven months in Italy at her age category, playing as an outside hitter. This tournament is ideal to see her development,” Núñez explained.

Regarding Valeria Vázquez, he noted that she arrives more mature after her season in Italy and ready to assume a leading role.

Valeria Vázquez herself shared her impressions about her experience in Italy’s Serie A2 and her return home. “It was an adjustment process at first, but afterward things went very well. I’m very happy to return to Puerto Rico this summer. Representing the country is a source of pride. Being able to play this first tournament in front of Puerto Rican fans and the fans in Ponce, who they say are amazing, excites me a lot,” she expressed. She added that every tournament is important for her individual development and for the team’s collective preparation ahead of the major summer commitments.

Núñez recalled that this Final Four is only the beginning of an intense cycle that includes two full months of preparation for the main objective: the NORCECA Olympic Qualifier.

“We have June and July to integrate the remaining players. The first commitment will be the Central American Games, then NORCECA, and finally the Olympic qualifier, which is the main course. We will try to make history once again by pursuing that qualification,” he stated.

The 2026 Final Four promises strong emotions from the opening serve. Puerto Rico will debut on June 5 at 9:00 p.m. against Costa Rica; on June 6, also at 9:00 p.m., they will face either Cuba or Trinidad and Tobago; and on Sunday, June 7 at 7:00 p.m., they will take on Mexico in the matchup most anticipated by the fans.

With the support of the municipality, the commitment of the FPV, and the dedication of a group of players combining youth, experience, and competitive hunger, Ponce is preparing to host a tournament that celebrates the present and projects the future of Puerto Rican volleyball.

en_USEnglish